Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables. I am not sure why it gets such a bad rap among children and in cartoons. It tastes so good. But what are the reasons to love and eat broccoli?
- They are full of antioxidants, like Vitamin C, carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene, and many more.
- If they are steamed they have a powerful cholesterol-lowering quality to them.
- Due to high levels of Calcium and Vitamin K they are amazing for bone health.
- Broccoli is important for heart health because of the anti-inflammatory properties of sulforaphane in it.
- Phytonutrients, like plucoraphanin, gluconasturtiin and glucobrassicin in broccoli support all steps of the detoxification process.
- Just like other vegetables it is very alkaline, keeping our acid-alkaline balance stable.
- It is a good source of protein, 1 cup of broccoli has as much protein in it as a cup of rice.
- It is a good source of Vitamin A and K which is especially important to keep our Vitamin D metabolism in balance.
- Broccoli is high in fiber aiding digestion.
- It tastes super yummy!
So eat up your broccoli!